United States Secretary of State Anthony Blinken has announced that President Joe Biden will travel to Israel this week, where he will:
- Reaffirm American solidarity to Israeli security
- Reaffirm that Israel has the right to self defense against Hamas
- Hear from Israel on what it needs to defense itself and work with Congress to meet those needs
- Coordinate closely with Israeli partners to secure release of hostages taken by Hamas
- Receive a brief on Israeli war aims and strategies (likely in relation to Gaza ground assault)
Blinken reiterated that two American carrier groups have been deployed to the region as a deterrent to “state and non-state actors,” which is a reference to Hezbollah and Iran.
He also said that the United States and Israel have agreed to a plan to coordinate humanitarian aid to Gazan civilians.