(AP) A gunman killed two people at a downtown construction site in New Zealand’s largest city of Auckland on Thursday, as the nation prepared to host games in the FIFA Women’s World Cup tournament. Authorities said the shooter was also dead.
Authorities said six other people, including at least one police officer, were injured during the shooting, which took place near hotels where Team Norway and other soccer teams have been staying.
New Zealand Prime Minster Chris Hipkins said the tournament would go ahead as planned.
He also said the attack was not being seen as an act of terrorism, and that the threat had been neutralized, no motive identified. The shooter had a pump shotgun reportedly. He thanked “the brave men and women of the New Zealand police who ran into the gunfire, straight into harm’s way, in order to save the lives of others… These kinds of situations move fast and the actions of those who risk their lives to save others are nothing short of heroic,”.