The US Embassy in Armenia on February 2nd released a security alert for embassy staff and citizens in the country, which they state serves as a reduction in restrictions “since the last notice was issued”.
The security alert still prohibits the travel of embassy staff for non-essential reasons to several different locations, and advises citizens to exercise caution around border regions. The entire alert reads as follows:
Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Yerevan, Armenia – February 2, 2024
Event: Travel Restriction Reduction
U.S. Embassy employees and their families are prohibited from any non-essential travel to the following locations, which reflects an easing of restrictions since the last notice was issued:
- Gegharkunik region east of Vardenis;
- Syunik region east of Goris;
- Syunik region south of Kapan;
- Travel through Yeraskh village in Ararat region is allowed, stopping is not.
U.S. citizens should continue to exercise caution near all international borders between Armenia and Azerbaijan. Be aware that some portions of the road may cross international boundaries without notice. Roads may be controlled by checkpoints or closed to travelers without notice.
Actions to Take:
* Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
* Notify friends and family of your travel.
* Be aware of your surroundings.
The exact reasoning for the reduction in restrictions was not stated.